Oil/Gas/Oil and Gas Leases

Question
Hello, I just received a lease on Section 36, Township 21N, Range 25W, in Ellis Co, OK.  The lease contains 160 acres at 3/16--the lease is only for a year ... others have been for 3-years.  Can you tell me why a company (Mewbourne to be exact) would only offer a 1-year lease?  Is this common?  Do you have any information on production in Ellis Co?  I have several areas with mineral rights, I have signed several leases, but have not seen any production or royalties from them.  Any information you can give me will help, the documents that I receive might as well be in Greek! :)

Answer
Newfield is fixin' to drill the "Mason 36-1H" well in that section looks like, and since they already have it scheduled, there's no need for them to lease you for three years since they plan on drilling it in less than one. They would argue why pay for three when you only need one? I would assume, since there is already a small well in that section, that they are just wanting to lease your deep rights below that well, unless it has been plugged recently or something.

There is plenty of production in Ellis County, though none currently in your section, at least for the deep rights they are apparently after. There is a small oil well in your section currently as I mentioned, that you should probably be getting royalty from, but it's operated by "Bell and Kinley Company" not Newfield, so you'd need to contact them. It's probably a pretty shallow well. The name of it is the SHERRILL #1-36.

Most of the surrounding sections are producing too. You can keep up with all the production and permitting etc. activity on the Oklahoma Corporation Commission Website; which is the regulatory body for oil and gas in Oklahoma.

On the lease question, just because you sign one it doesn't mean it's going to result in royalty payments. A lease gives the lessee (oil company) the right, but not the obligation, to drill a well within the term of the lease (usually 3 years in Oklahoma.) If they choose not to drill a well. No royalty. If they drill a "dry hole" no royalty. Etc.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott