Oil/Gas/Purchasing Oil/Mineral Rights

Question
I have been given the opportunity to purchase oil/mineral rights in Jackson County Oklahoma section 23, township 2-North and Range 23 West.  The appraisal value I was quoted by the seller was $650 an acre.  Do you think this is reasonable given the chances of a well being found?  It appears most of the wells being drilled are south of this area.  Do you know of any purchases/leases in this area or wells/pipes being planned?

Thank you for your time.

Answer
You are correct sir, that most of the current activity is to the south of you by several miles. $650/acre is probably about right, but you could check the "tax stamps" on mineral deeds recently filed in the county clerk's office to see what others (if any) have (supposedly) paid for mineral rights in your area.

I do not know of any wells being planned in this immediate area. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission is the oil and gas regulatory body for the state of Oklahoma, and on their website you can find a wealth of information about what's going on in the area where your mineral rights are located. You can search their oil and gas database from THIS page.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott