Oil/Gas/Buying Wells in Operation

Dear Cliff.

I work for a company in Mexico. My boss and his partner want to buy Wells in Operarion.
Since I am new on this subject, I have trouble understanding things like WI,ORRI,NPI...
Is there a mannual, or some place where I should start to get familiar with all these new terms, and also to learn about this subject as much as I can?
Can you recomend a Broker or 2?
Thaks for yor help.

I would suggest that you become a member of as many different associations as you can such as the AAPL (American Association of Petroleum Landmen)  See the following web pages:

These are some very good resources that are available to you.

There is a group here in North Texas that specialize in operating existing fields and re-completing wells in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas that you may want to speak with.  They are the only group that I'm aware of that I know well enough to recommend.  

Please contact me at my e-mail address

for additional information.  

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years