Oil/Gas/evaluation of mineral rights

Question
QUESTION: I want to transfer my mineral rights to my children. How do I value them?

ANSWER: Minerals have no value until there is leasing and/or exploration and production in the area.  If there is no production in the area the value of the right to the mineral would be in the range of $1.00 to $5.00 per acre.

If there is some leasing in the area then the value is based on the current bonus amount per acre.  In some areas this is ranges from a low of $15.00 acre up to $1,250 or more per acre.

If there is actual production in the area, say within about 1 mile of your mineral interest, then the value is based on approximately 36 months worth of the production.  

These are guidelines and nothing more.  The value is like a home...it is only worth what someone else will pay for it.

QUESTION: Who does the valuing so that it is acceptable for calculating taxes? what would the cost be of obtaining a value?

Answer
The only entity qualified to do this, if it is done, is the county in which the minerals are located.  You can call the tax assessor/appraiser in the county in which the minerals are located and ask them if they place a dollar value on the minerals.  

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams