Oil/Gas/Inherited Mineral Deed

Hi Frederick,

I inherited mineral deeds in Oklahoma. The deeds date back to mid 1920s.
Seminole County- Section 27, Township 9N, Range 6E. It reads Lots no. One (1) Six(6)Seven (7) Eight (8) Nine (9) and ten (10) Block Thirty-two (32) original town of Seminole, Oklahoma.

The second is Oklahoma County Section 21, Township 9N, Range 6E. The detail of the description is quit lengthy.

How do I determine if these are worth something?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Keener Oil and Gas Company (918-587-4154)out of Tulsa, OK operates a couple of small oil wells in the southeast quarter of 27-9N-6E. You might give them a call and ask if they show you or your relatives you inherited from in their "pay deck." Likely if you had anything coming to you you'd know it, but perhaps not so I'd say it's worth a call to them. Their website is:

As for the other section in Oklahoma County there may be a small oil well operating there that you have an interest in. It's operated by Kato Operating Company currently. You can phone them at 918-367-5553.

Note that in both cases the operator may not be the buyer (i.e. the one who pays royalty) but than can certainly put you in touch with who is. If you call, be nice of course. Some of these smaller companies have very limited staff and are very busy. Most will try to help you out though if you are nice to them.

To answer your question, I think they are worth something whether producing or not. How much? Well, I couldn't say for sure but at least several hundred dollars per acre I'd say. Once you determine whether you own anything in these sections you might consider listing them for sale on my website, the Mineral Hub, if you are in fact hoping to sell them. Before deciding to sell them however, I'd become a little more familiar with what you've got. You may decide after learning a bit that you would rather keep them than sell them. There are many sites on the Internet that can help you learn about your mineral rights and what they might be worth, including mine.

Again, if you don't remember anyone being paid royalty on these wells over the years, or collecting "bonus checks" from leasing, then it's likely the minerals you saw on the 1920 deed were later sold. Still worth checking with these companies though...and of course you can go check the records yourself at the county clerk's office to determine whether they were ever sold or not.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)