Oil/Gas/oil and gas lease

Question
Eight yrs ago I entered into a oil and gas lease. Now I would like to sell the land for developing. Can these leases be negotiated? apparently there is no time limit on this lease. I can't believe I signed this.I live in NY state

Answer
I can't believe that you did it either!

There is a time limit on all leases that requires the oil company to drill and produce a well.  This is called a primary term.  If the oil company has not drilled, completed and produced the well so that you are receiving royalty prior to the expiration of the primary term then the lease will expire and the lease is terminated on its own terms without any additional paperwork.

If a well is drilled and you begin to receive royalty then the lease will continue on indefinitely until the production stops.

Your original premise is correct - it is very difficult to get out of the lease until the primary term is completed.  The oil company payed you a "bonus" for executing the lease and this is the money that bought them the "term" to drill and begin producing.

You will contact them and you may still be successful in selling the property with the lease - it will transfer to the new owners.

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams