Oil/Gas/Oil and gas mineral rights

Question
I am a widow and have mineral rights all my children are grown and have their own share. My question is I want to leave my share of mineral rights to someone outside of the family can I just filled out a affidavit stating my wishes?

Answer
An affidavit will not be adequate as a last will and testament.  You will need to find a "Warranty Deed" or a "Quit Claim Deed" and fill that out, execute before a notary public and give those away before you pass away.  Otherwise, you will need to execute a will and have the Personal Representative give those interests after you pass away.

If, by chance, you have current income that you want to retain then you should retain a "life estate" in the mineral interest and any current income and convey the minerals.  The persons you want to give the minerals to will automatically get them when you pass away but you would retain the interest and income now.

If you choose the "life estate" route you will want to have an attorney draw up that document for you.

My best,

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams