Oil/Gas/oil, gas & mineral rights in Upshur County Texas

In May 1996, I was approached by Team Invest Inc to enter into a 3 year lease for my 1/8 part of 144 acres.  My father originally owned these rights along with his sister (my aunt). I do not know who else would have interests.  I signed the document and returned to them.  I never heard anything else from them and assumed the lease expired.

My father is deceased and his interest went to my mother who is now deceased.  Her share was divided between my sister, my brother and myself. When my aunt died, she willed her interest to my siblings and myself.  I received a Special Warranty Deed. My brother is now deceased. I do not know what the exact percentage is that I own now.

The property description is: All that certain tract or parcel of land, called to contain 144.0 acres of land, more or less, a part of the Henry W. Augustine Survey, A-8, Upshur County, Texas and being the same land described in that certain Warranty Deed, dated November 15, 1963, from Sallie Perdue Hayes, Et Al to C. D. Pittmon and wife, Lorene Pittmon, recorded in Volume 279, Page 514, Deed records of Upshur County, Texas.

I sent a letter to the Upshur County Tax Assessor in 2008 asking the following questions.  They responded that they do not have that information.

My questions are how does one find out if anyone has drilled on this land and are there any wells located there? Also how do I find who owns the surface land and contact information for them? Exactly where is this land? How would I get a document stating exactly what I own? How do I find out who else has an interest? How do I give my current address?

I live in Colorado and have since moved from the address 10 years ago that Team Invest corresponded with me. I would really appreciate any information you can give me or where to go to get the answers.  Thank you in advance.

In order to obtain the answers to your questions, I will list below what is required to obtain that information:
Question 1:  
How does one find out if anyone has drilled on the land and are there any wells located thereon?
Answer 1:
You can research the Texas Railroad Commission Oil & Gas site to determine this information.
Question 2: How do you find out who owns the surface land and contact information for them?
Answer 2:  The Upshur County Tax Assessor's office should be able to provide you with the surface owner's name if you provide them with the legal description of the property.
Questions 3 & 4:  How would you get a document stating exactly what you own?  How do you find out who else has an interest?  
Answers 3 & 4:  You need an oil and gas professional to research the public records to determine what exact interest you own. Although you acquired your interest pursuant to the Special Warranty Deed from your father, one must research the records further back to determine what your father actually owned before it was acquired by you.  This is a complex matter and takes some time.  It is very difficult to estimate the time it will take because one does not know what the prior title involves, i.e.: How many past conveyances, transfers, etc.  How many people are involved in the title chain?  etc.  
Question 5: How do I give my current address?
Answer 5:  I would give your current address to the Tax Assessor's office in Upshur County because producing minerals are taxed in Texas and if title transfers place you into ownership, and there are producing minerals, then you will be receiving a tax bill.  

Suggestion:  If you'd like to hire an oil and gas professional to conduct this title research for you, you can contact me at and we can discuss.

Best of luck.  

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING A QUESTION. I can answer all questions related to oil and gas ownership, mineral interests and working interests concerning the leasing and selling of your minerals, any questions concerning pipeline ROW's, units with the Louisiana Department of Conservation; pooling provisions, depth limitations, vertical or horizontal pugh clauses; and oil and gas terminology. I can offer assistance in negotiating for leasing your property, assisting in locating owners of suspended funds or to receive the best offer for your oil and gas interests, should you desire to sell. I am only able to answer questions regarding oil and gas leases, minerals, royalties, or offers to purchase mineral/royalty interests if I have complete information. Please provide a full legal description for your interest(s). If the question pertains to a lease, please include all terms of any current (or desired) lease offers, including lease bonus amount, royalty and lease term. If the question is regarding a mineral or royalty interest offer to purchase, please provide the offer amount, date of offer, other offer terms, and further details on the mineral/royalty interest, such as lease terms, and if producing, the average monthly income. Since I receive numerous inquiries daily, I am only able to answer your questions efficiently and effectively if I have complete information. I must decline any questions submitted with incomplete information. If your question is non-technical in nature and you simply need assistance understanding an oil and gas matter, please submit your question with as much information and detail as possible. Any background information that has led to your question is also very helpful.

I have over 34 years experience as an Independent Petroleum Landman. I became a Landman after working as a paralegal for Oil & Gas Attorneys for 8 years. My first 2 years were spent specializing in Well History and Research with the Louisiana Department of Conservation, then moving into clearing title defects and handling title curative for oil and gas properties for the next 6 years. Subsequent thereto, I handled title issues, buying oil and gas leases and settling surface damages. I also acquired acreage for drilling prospects in excess of 10,000 acres. I also became a mineral/royalty owner commencing in 2004 and have found that I can help many people when they have reached the point in their lives they feel converting their minerals or royalties into a cash asset benefits them.

American Association for Professional Landmen, ArkLaTex Assoc. of Professional Landmen, and Dallas Association of Professional Landmen (DAPL), Certified by the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)- South. This certification is one of the most widely recognized and respected certifications in the nation. This designation is reserved for only those women-led businesses that exemplify the characteristics of integrity and professionalism to which the WBENC adheres to so strictly.

Attended LSU, became a Certified Professional Landman in 1994; Notary Public with dual authority in multiple parishes in North Louisiana; Bilingual in English and Greek

Expert Oil & Gas Professional assisting attorneys representing landowners. Involved in 2 lawsuits and both suits were awarded to the landowner. Ilios Resources, Inc. has been awarded the Best of Shreveport Oil and Gas Mineral Buyer Award for 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.

Consultant Landman for Texas Oil & Gas (TXO Production Corp.), Anadarko Petroleum, Comstock Resources,Independent Geologists, Pipeline ROW Clients, and Oil & Gas Attorneys. For the past 5 years my practice is primarily an advocacy for the landowner. I also assist royalty owners recover suspended payments or incorrect royalty payments, or sell their mineral or royalty interest.