Oil/Gas/Oil Lease offer - San Patricio County, Texsa

Question
Laura- I was offerred $50 per acre with a 1/5 royalty on about 17 net acres in San Patricio County, which is just outside the Eage Ford play. The $50 per acre seems a bit low to me. What are your thoughts about the $50 per acres plus the royalty? Whats would be a reasonable counter?

Thanks

Answer
Adam,
I do not know what the current offers are in this area, but I always recommend you checking with other landowners in the area to see what they have agreed to sign for.  Remember, I didn't say: "what they were offered", but, "what did they agree to sign for"?  

In between the "offer" and the "terms agreed upon to sign for", are two different amounts.  Its always been my experience that the initial offers are not what the company has authority for.  So, always counter - and in your situation, $50/acre with 1/5th royalty - leads me to believe that:
a) You should counter at $85/acre (they will probably re-counter) - and what they recounter at is probably acceptable;
b) if they initially offered 1/5th royalty - it leads me to believe that you should be able to get 1/4th royalty.  

Usually in areas of active development - today 1/4th royalty is allowed.

Best of luck.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL