Oil/Gas/Release of Lease

Question
Hi, my mother had a oil and gas lease on some land in wy, it was for 5 years, dated 6th of Feb, 2004 in Natrona County, township 36 N, Range 87 W, 6th P.M.  Section 15: NW1/4, N1/2SW1/4

Well I called the county clerks office and they said it was still in the leasing parties name of Hanson & Strahn, we have tried to contact this company but there phones are disconnected, anyway how do we get these mineral rights back? My mom is 91,and would like to have these back before she moves on.

Thank you for your time

Answer
If the lease is producing (i.e. they drilled a well in 2004 or later and it's still producing) then the lease was automatically extended and will continue for as long as there is production from the leased premises. If they didn't commence and drill a producing well during the 5-year primary term then the lease would have expired by its own terms 5 years after she signed it.

The lease will still remain filed of record even if it's expired, but anyone looking at it could see that it had expired (assuming no production.)

A lease doesn't give a company ownership of her mineral rights, so your mother still owns them whether they are leased or not. When she signed the lease, she only gives them the exclusive right to drill during the primary term. If they didn't drill, the lease expired and she can lease to someone else if she likes.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott