Oil/Gas/Federal Land Bank Mineral Rights & Royalties

Question
Does the Federal Land Bank retain mineral rights after a farm loan has been paid off? If mineral rights are to be returned to the property owner, how I can I find out if the Federal Land Bank is receiving royalties for property I own in Blaine County Oklahoma?

Answer
You must read the deed that was signed by the "seller" as part of the closing when the loan was taken out to see if the minerals were severed from the surface in that transaction. I am not aware of any federal program ever enacted that allowed the Federal Land Bank to retain, or be conveyed, mineral rights on behalf of the BLM as part of a Federal Land Bank loan, but I could be wrong.  To find out if the Federal Land Bank is receiving royalties for your property in Blaine County, go to http://www.occ.state.ok.us/Orawebapps/OCCORaWebAppsone.html then click on "New Well Browse Database".  In the "Location" section of the pop-up screen, select "Blaine" for the County, then enter the Township & direction, Range & direction, and Section where your land is located.  This will give you a report of the wells on your land. From there you will find out who the operator is for any well producing on your land and contact the Division Order Department in that company to ask them why you are not receiving royalties from that well.  They should be able to tell you if they are crediting the BLM with any part of the royalties from your land.  It could also turn out that you are credited with the royalty in their records, but there is some kind of title requirement that you need to work with them to resolve before they can issue payments to you.  Good luck, and let me know if you need any additional help.

Oil/Gas

Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA