Oil/Gas/Impact of Measurement Activity on the Oil and Gas Sector

I am a year 5 undergraduate masters civil engineering student currently applying for structural engineering jobs in the oil and gas sector.

One of the application desirables for a role of particular interest to me ambiguously states "understanding the impact of measurement activity of the soil and gas business".  I feel as though this statement is open to interpretation and there are a number of things this could mean, based on my research into this sector.  Therefore I was hoping an expert in the field could help me understand what this statement actually means, to enable me to adequately research it and formulate an understanding of the subject.

I believe you or the company has a type o in "soil" for "oil". Not sure though.
"understanding the impact of measurement activity of the soil and gas business"

Either way, without knowing what the company specializes in, it would be to difficult to say what an idea response would be.

Chris Termeer

I can answer a broad variety of questions about oil and gas in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the industry. Topics of knowledge include but are not limited to: * History of the industry * Basic questions about formation of hydrocarbons (hydrocarbon window, geologic processes that create oil and gas formations) * Types of formation structures, source rocks, and traps * Surrounding production analysis (how to, importance of etc) * Basic questions about magnetic surveys, geometric surveys, seismic surveys (2D and 3D) and radiometric surveys. (Including relative strengths and weaknesses and how performed.) * Basic questions of cable tool drilling * Complex questions about rotary drilling, its components, operations, how to set up a rig. Drilling operations including fluid/mud, cuttings analysis, downhole testing, directional drilling, making and tripping pipe, cementing casing (importance of and how performed etc), common drilling mistakes and problems. * Complex questions about post- (though sometimes occurs during) drilling activities such as well logging, sidewall and whole core sampling, drill stem testing, reserves analysis and projections. * Basic questions about well completions including installation of surface wellhead and subsurface safety valve, well perforations, lateral and horizontal completions, hydraulic fracturing, (I prefer the spelling form "fracking" for the active verb and "frac" for the noun form) and wellbore swabbing. * Basic questions about so-called "flush production" (others call primary recovery) such as natural gas drive, water drive, compaction drive and gravity/dip drive. * Complex questions about artifical hydrocarbon lift technologies such as the sucker rod pumpjack, plunger lift pumps, gas lift pumps and electric subsersible pumps. * Basic questions about secondary and tertiary recovery techniques including water flooding, gas injection (be it CO2 or N), anaerobic recovery and so forth.

I have worked in this industry for many years and have at least some experience in all aspects of it. My specialty in recent years has been in upstream exploration and production. I have worked as a Consultant and general partner for a variety of projects in Texas, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado. My experience is also built on my extensive writing in the oil and gas industry on a series of blogs and websites and my recently published book, Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas.

Owner,, Owner,, Owner,

Self-published author of Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas, (ISBN: 978-0-9890434-1-0 and Library of Congress Control Number: 2013906080) Contributing author on

Bachelor's of Science from Michigan State University with a variety of other coursework at other Universities including the University of South Florida and University of Wollongong.