Oil/Gas/Initial Production

Mick - I am an owner of wells in Arkoma/Woodford - Twp 3 Range 10 Coal County Ok.  I have heard two different definitions of "Initial Production".  If IP is shown as of Completion, how can it also refer to production during entire first phase up to time when well must be re-worked, as Secondary?  Any explanation, and any comment on at what price those wells will be opened to full production?

Initial production figures are often not a good indicator of how a well is actually going to do. Often these figures are deceptive, especially on horizontal wells, whose initial production rates are generally much higher than vertical wells, but their production also declines at a much greater rate. How long did they "flow" the well to come up with the IP figure? An hour? A day? A week? The longer the test, the more accurate the IP will be.

I usually put a lot more weight on a well's "second month" of production than I do its first. By the second month the production is more stable and thus is a better indicator of what the well is doing. Measuring the production during the second 30 days of operation is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Wells can also be "choked down" by the operator (if the formation's geology will allow it) when prices fall, and "opened up" to full capacity again once prices rise. I would suggest you look at production from adjacent or nearby wells producing from the same formation as yours to see what your well is capable of and how it will do.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)