Do you know of any recent activity going on in Cimarron County Oklahoma.  I won mineral rights on several different quarters of land and have received Lease Offers on 2.  I know that several owners in this area have begun receiving these offers in the last couple of months. They are not good offers and I plan to negotiate mine but I don't how how far to "push it" because I don't know what is going on up there.

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the great question.  The proper way to establish a market value for an oil and gas lease involves some research to learn the nature of the prospect (production on surrounding parcels, for example), the likelihood of payout, and the expected quantity of payout; and perhaps obtaining the opinion of a geologist or at least talking to a knowledgeable landman who is active in the area, all of which takes time and money.  One property may bear a lease bonus of $1000 an acre or more while an adjacent one may have a value of $100 per acre or less.  Have any wells been drilled in the surrounding area recently?  Have you spoken to the owners of the adjacent properties?  Have you asked a landman what is the most he has paid for a lease in that county?  Unfortunately, I cannot afford to answer questions like this one for free due to the aforementioned need to pay for research and hire experts.  

Mark Bonner

Interests include oil and gas leases, mineral deeds, royalty payments, interest on late royalty payments, post-production costs.

I have been an attorney for over 20 years.

Norman & Edem, PLLC 127 N.W. 10th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73103 405-272-0200 (Tel.)

Oklahoma Bar Journal; Oklahoma Association for Justice Advocate

Highest Honors, OU College of Law, 1992 Earl Sneed Award for Oil & Gas