Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights Offer

I received two letters from the same energy company (Cambria) dated a day apart and signed by different persons.  They both offer to buy mineral rights I own in 24-19N-22W, Ellis County, OK, for $2,000 per net mineral acre.  I am considering selling and would appreciate your perspective.  I know you have a site for selling such rights and wonder if you think this is a good offer or if I might be able to do better via your service.  Thanks for your input.

Since you asked about the Mineral Hub, I'll take this opportunity to put a plug in. I can't promise you (nor should anyone) that listing your mineral rights for sale on the Mineral Hub (or anywhere else) will absolutely result in a better offer than the one you've received, but I CAN promise you that it would be their goal to do so. Buyers from all over the country visit the Mineral Hub site daily. The site has also been established a lot longer than copycat sites who have tried (unsuccessfully) to emulate the Mineral Hub's success. Exposure that only we can provide = potential for more $$$ for the sellers who decide to list with us.

I also think it's important to get a good quality deal as well as a fair price, and the MH strives to make sure that happens too. You don't want to waste time with a buyer who may tie up your mineral rights for weeks or even months while "evaluating" them, only to fail to close the deal, or fail to honor their original offer in the end. We've had enough experience with purchasers that in most cases we can weed out problem buyers and inept brokers claiming to be buyers before they can cause problems for our clients. Most of our our deals close within three weeks once a buyer is found. A good number of them close even sooner.

To answer your question though, the offer you received doesn't sound bad really, but I can't say for sure if it represents the true market value. I sold some mineral rights in that same area last year for about the same price actually, but things could have changed since then. If you listed with us then of course we would research the current value in more detail so that we could better evaluate the offers we received. Since properly evaluating a property takes some time we really can't afford to do in-depth appraisals except for clients who list with us...though the listing is of course free. If you do choose to sell them on the Mineral Hub and we can't find you a better deal, then I'll bet their offer would still be available in a few weeks anyway so you really wouldn't be losing anything.

No matter whether you list with us or not, you should keep in mind that there's probably something "going on" in your area that attracted this buyer in the first place. Might be worth checking into seeing if perhaps a new well is being drilled or something. Many of the unsolicited offers people receive in the mail are the result of some company who follows the action in the area finding out that a new well has or is about to be drilled nearby; and they of course are hoping to scoop up minerals in the area prior to it becoming common knowledge.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)