You are here:

Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights in Yuma County Colorado


Our family has inherited the mineral rights for a quarter section in Yuma County Colorado. The property is situated in Township 4-48. A quick check of on-line maps shows a few inactive wells on adjacent properties, but that is about all I know. These rights were forgotten about until recently when I remembered my father mentioning that he had inherited them and I found the paperwork in his effects after he died. I really don't know how to  determine the value, or marketability for these mineral rights. Our family is in California and familiar with other real property issues but not minerals. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Yuma County, CO
Yuma County, CO  
Michael, in case you aren't already aware, there isn't much at all going on in Yuma County as far as oil and gas goes (whether you are in 4N or 4S Township doesn't matter...both are pretty inactive.) My guess would be that the mineral rights are probably worth no more than $300/acre to most buyers, and quite possibly less than that, and that's for an outright sale. If you wanted to lease them I'd guess it would be around $50/acre, assuming you can even find anyone to lease them.

I've attached a map showing the recent (last 6 months) leasing activity in the county, and as you can see, there is some, but it's not prolific. Drilling permits are even more scarce. Note that each of the dots represent sections that have had leasing over the past 12 months. Could be one lease or more in each section. The map just shows which sections have had leases filed on them in the past 6 months. Map is courtesy of Drilling Info.

Since you didn't specify 4N or 4S I don't know exactly which part of the county you are in, but the companies doing most of the leasing in either of those are Acme Oil Corporation, LLC; Augustus Energy Partners, LLC; and Synergy Resources Corp. I have no idea what they're paying bonus-wise for leases but I'd wager it's $50/acre or less. Best thing to do is call them all and see what they may offer, if anything, to lease your mineral rights. If your aim is to sell them instead (more money up front, but of course no chance for future royalty if you sell) your best bet would be to list them on the Mineral Hub in order to give them the best exposure to the market. That's my website (see below); and you can also find an article on oil and gas leasing tips there if you don't want to sell (see "Mineral Hub News" link.)

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.