Oil/Gas/oil & gas royalty transfer

Question
My sister in Canada wants to transfer her oil & gas royalty to me - I live in Vermont. Our oil & gas interests are in Tarrant county, Texas. Could you tell me what & how we would do this? Also is it possible to do this without going through an attorney? Thank you - Dave.

Answer
You can do it yourself, but I would still advise having an attorney draft the deed as it needs to be correct in order to effectively transfer the interest. That said, you can find many examples of "Mineral Deeds" online to use as models for your own deed and do it that way. You could also hire a "paralegal" to draft the mineral deed, which would likely be less money than an actual attorney.

Whatever you do, you'll need to make sure the land the minerals are under is properly described on the deed to the extent that it could be located by anyone looking at the deed. If you have a copy of the conveyance where your sister received her minerals, you could use that legal description as as a model for your deed, while making sure it grants you "all" her interest (actually include the word "all" or "100%" etc. on the deed. The tax statement from Tarrant County your sister probably receives each year would also likely contain an adequate legal description.

Instead of a mineral deed you could also use a "quit-claim" deed. Quit-claim deeds are sometimes used between family members, and also are used when the grantor (in this case your sister) isn't sure exactly what is owned (i.e. how many acres etc.) You'd still need an adequate legal description on whatever deed you use though. Simply granting "all my interest in Tarrant County" would not do it. You'd probably also want to include the Survey name if known (i.e. John Glenn Survey) or the abstract number assigned to the survey (i.e. Abstract 345, or A-345 etc.) as well as a section and/or block number if know.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub
www.mineralhub.com

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott