Oil/Gas/Cost of reworking oil wells

QUESTION: Chris, I am interested in the cost of reworking oil wells in the Bakken.  What is the typical method used to rework a well?  What does that process cost?  How much increase in production can be expected?  Thank you.

Cost can very on many factors such as what is needed and what contractors to name a few.
In my book Fundamentals of investing in oil and gas available on amazon, barns and noble, and apple ibooks/itunes I go over many reworking techniques.  The book is available between $15-25 and I feel it would be a good idea to really read it before making any moves on reworking any wells.

You really need to know what you are doing on any type of rework as they can quickly become a money pit.

Hope this helps,
Chris Termeer

QUESTION: Can you give me a range of costs for a typical 1000' well?

ANSWER: Unfortunately I can not as I do not have enough information on the exact project.

The existing well and area would need to be re evaluated in order to understand what exactly needs to be fixed or otherwise known as reworked.  Once again I would strongly recommend you read my book "Fundamentals of investing in oil and gas" and focus on the chapters that discuss primary and secondary recovery as most reworks would fall under this category.

To give you an idea it could be as easy as swabbing out, fixing a hole in the tubing, fixing a pumpjack, acid or hot oil treatment. On the other hand you might need a frac along with the implementation of a Water Alternating Gas process (WAG), electricity and other important infrastructure may need to be added and that can be extremely expensive depending on the size of the target area, available resources on hand, and overall depth of the project.

Karl, you really need to know what you are doing if you are getting into reworking wells.

I really recommend my book "Fundamentals of investing in oil and gas" as it should open your eyes to new concepts that might not be utilized in your area along with a better understanding of geology, operations, and down hole equipment and situations that you may be encountering.

Chris Termeer

QUESTION: Does your book note any cost ranges?  BTW, I have it ordered. I am not in the business of reworking wells.  I represent a product that has been shown to increase well production without costly rework. I would just like to know a range of costs for a minimal and full-blown rework on a 1000' well.  I am interested in ballpark figures for the industry or specifically Bakken wells.  Thank you.

no cost ranges are disclosed in the book as the price of things such as chemicals, equipment, and even labor often changes per company and/or supplier over time but the procedures are discussed in depth.

It seems that your product is only good for relatively shallow stripper wells. The vast majority of the action in the Bakken is at a depth that far exceeds your 1,000ft proposed target.

The composition of the Bakken is also something that I am not sure your product will be well suited for either.  As said before the Bakken is not only deeper than other formations but also a more dense material such as dolomite and shale. I have seen many products geared towards limestone and/or sandstone.  I assume the formations wet ability which is discussed the later chapters of by book is a large factor in your success ration on your product.

From what I have heard and the research that I have done about the formation in question, it appears to be the fracing issues. it appears that closer spacing, newer chemicals, and even propping agents are the biggest factors in success in well performance which includes the live of the well and high production numbers.  

I do not believe the anaerobic techniques are very effective on these wells in the bakken as the issue with this formation has always been in releasing the oil from the dolomite or shale matrix of the formation.

I am constantly cautious about new products on wells as the data doesnt always seem to be in line with the reservoir characteristics. Many companies often offer the product for free as long as they get a back ended royalty. often times this scares the majority of people if they have some sort of stable producing wells.  

I would say the best locations for a product like this would be the shallow formations of TX, KS, OK, MS, OH, IL, AL, LA, NY, basically the states near the mississippi river and the appalachian mountains. I would assume that really understanding the states with free systems for well records would be the most idea place to start as you can see if a well was shut in, capped, waterflooded, etc.  I would say to try and partner up with geologist and see if they have rework projects, contractors, and even search for old records on old reservoirs. It is a big task though.

I was sitting with a geologist one time and we were discussing a older field that was questionable on making any money.  Right before I walked away the geologist said to me something that stuck in my head. "when you go digging in a graveyard, you only often find bones".

I am almost certain my book will help you out in one way or another.  Let me know if it does.
Chris Termeer  

Chris Termeer

I can answer a broad variety of questions about oil and gas in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the industry. Topics of knowledge include but are not limited to: * History of the industry * Basic questions about formation of hydrocarbons (hydrocarbon window, geologic processes that create oil and gas formations) * Types of formation structures, source rocks, and traps * Surrounding production analysis (how to, importance of etc) * Basic questions about magnetic surveys, geometric surveys, seismic surveys (2D and 3D) and radiometric surveys. (Including relative strengths and weaknesses and how performed.) * Basic questions of cable tool drilling * Complex questions about rotary drilling, its components, operations, how to set up a rig. Drilling operations including fluid/mud, cuttings analysis, downhole testing, directional drilling, making and tripping pipe, cementing casing (importance of and how performed etc), common drilling mistakes and problems. * Complex questions about post- (though sometimes occurs during) drilling activities such as well logging, sidewall and whole core sampling, drill stem testing, reserves analysis and projections. * Basic questions about well completions including installation of surface wellhead and subsurface safety valve, well perforations, lateral and horizontal completions, hydraulic fracturing, (I prefer the spelling form "fracking" for the active verb and "frac" for the noun form) and wellbore swabbing. * Basic questions about so-called "flush production" (others call primary recovery) such as natural gas drive, water drive, compaction drive and gravity/dip drive. * Complex questions about artifical hydrocarbon lift technologies such as the sucker rod pumpjack, plunger lift pumps, gas lift pumps and electric subsersible pumps. * Basic questions about secondary and tertiary recovery techniques including water flooding, gas injection (be it CO2 or N), anaerobic recovery and so forth.

I have worked in this industry for many years and have at least some experience in all aspects of it. My specialty in recent years has been in upstream exploration and production. I have worked as a Consultant and general partner for a variety of projects in Texas, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado. My experience is also built on my extensive writing in the oil and gas industry on a series of blogs and websites and my recently published book, Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas.

Owner,, Owner,, Owner,

Self-published author of Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas, (ISBN: 978-0-9890434-1-0 and Library of Congress Control Number: 2013906080) Contributing author on

Bachelor's of Science from Michigan State University with a variety of other coursework at other Universities including the University of South Florida and University of Wollongong.