Oil/Gas/Gas leases for 2014 - 2015

Question
Hello Brian,

I signed a gas lease with Hillwood Energies (A Perot Company) back in 2008 and extended it in 2011.  They did not renew it after that because of the falling gas prices.  Also, they never did any drilling during that time.  So I received lease money ($5,500) per acre, but no royalties.  I have about 2 acres.  Can you tell me if leases will be renewed in 2014 or 2015?  I see that the price of natural gas is currently over $4.

Note:  These mineral rights are in the Barnett Shale.

Answer
Hi Richard,

The decision to approach you to renew or seek to obtain a lease would be up to the pertinent Oil and Gas company and that would most likely depend on their projected exploration goals and business strategy. If your lease has expired and no drilling has occurred, you should be able to consider all offers, when or if they come, from interested exploration companies.  

Thanks again.  

Oil/Gas

Brian Robinson, J.D.