Oil/Gas/Assigning an O&G Lease - from an estate (TRUST) to the heir (TRUST)

Hello Laura, I am helping a friend who has decided to retain her O&G rights (County of Los Angeles, State of California) - she is the heir to her fathers estate and wants to transfer the estate interest into her trust, she is the executrix of the estate. All heirs are in agreement

Per her estate attorney, he recommends that she first communicate with a knowledgeable representative of the company issuing the shares to make sure there’s no prohibition of share ownership by a revocable living trust. (She has spoken to them and they are ok with this change, however, they are of no help in preparing the assignment)

The new titling should read:

Alissa M. Solomon, Trustee and successor trustees of Alissa Solomon Living Trust dated December 8, 2010

Alissa M. Solomon, Trustee u/t/d 12/8/10

The person helping at the company issuing shares is:

Maggie Buelow
Land Analyst
E&B Natural Resources

Per Maggie, she does not have an existing property address for the O&G interest.  The original lease was by Abe and Rose Korach and at the time the mailing address listed was 134 North Highland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA.  The lease was for the property legally described as Lot 98 of Tract 7671, as per map recorded in Book 95, Page 74 of Maps, Office of the Los Angeles County Recorder, State of California but the property with that legal description does not exist and has been combined with another property.  

I would like to prepare the assignment document for Alissa, but I do not know the format and how to confirm the description, etc.....can you help me help her....?

Michele Wood
(310)922 6947

I applaud your willingness to want to help your friend, but since you are dealing with a legal matter here, you must be careful.  Nine times out of ten, you will gain more by letting a professional handle a matter like this, than trying to avoid incurring an expense and getting a friend to do it.  If errors occur, it will be an expensive error to rectify and you are putting yourself in a situation where you are liable because you are trying to handle a matter that involves real property.  It seems that you did have the appropriate attorney involved, which was the estate attorney; and he seems very qualified to prepare the assignment, which I would recommend that you enlist his professional services to do so.
However, in answer to your question about who should be the Grantor in the deed, if I were preparing the deed, I would prepare it as follows:
"Alissa M. Solomon, Individually, and as Trustee and Successor Trustee of Alissa Solomon Living Trust dtd 12/8/10".  

As for the property description variance, if you describe it as:
"being that same property described in that certain Oil, Gas and Mineral Lease dated _________, by Abe and Rose Korach, as Lessors, unto ____________________, as Lessee, filed under Instrument #_______________, in Conveyance Book _________ at Page ______, in the records of Los Angeles County, California", this would enable a third party to identify the property by following the property's description changes.  
I hope this information assists you and I have been able to help your friend.  

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING A QUESTION. I can answer all questions related to oil and gas ownership, mineral interests and working interests concerning the leasing and selling of your minerals, any questions concerning pipeline ROW's, units with the Louisiana Department of Conservation; pooling provisions, depth limitations, vertical or horizontal pugh clauses; and oil and gas terminology. I can offer assistance in negotiating for leasing your property, assisting in locating owners of suspended funds or to receive the best offer for your oil and gas interests, should you desire to sell. I am only able to answer questions regarding oil and gas leases, minerals, royalties, or offers to purchase mineral/royalty interests if I have complete information. Please provide a full legal description for your interest(s). If the question pertains to a lease, please include all terms of any current (or desired) lease offers, including lease bonus amount, royalty and lease term. If the question is regarding a mineral or royalty interest offer to purchase, please provide the offer amount, date of offer, other offer terms, and further details on the mineral/royalty interest, such as lease terms, and if producing, the average monthly income. Since I receive numerous inquiries daily, I am only able to answer your questions efficiently and effectively if I have complete information. I must decline any questions submitted with incomplete information. If your question is non-technical in nature and you simply need assistance understanding an oil and gas matter, please submit your question with as much information and detail as possible. Any background information that has led to your question is also very helpful.

I have over 34 years experience as an Independent Petroleum Landman. I became a Landman after working as a paralegal for Oil & Gas Attorneys for 8 years. My first 2 years were spent specializing in Well History and Research with the Louisiana Department of Conservation, then moving into clearing title defects and handling title curative for oil and gas properties for the next 6 years. Subsequent thereto, I handled title issues, buying oil and gas leases and settling surface damages. I also acquired acreage for drilling prospects in excess of 10,000 acres. I also became a mineral/royalty owner commencing in 2004 and have found that I can help many people when they have reached the point in their lives they feel converting their minerals or royalties into a cash asset benefits them.

American Association for Professional Landmen, ArkLaTex Assoc. of Professional Landmen, and Dallas Association of Professional Landmen (DAPL), Certified by the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)- South. This certification is one of the most widely recognized and respected certifications in the nation. This designation is reserved for only those women-led businesses that exemplify the characteristics of integrity and professionalism to which the WBENC adheres to so strictly.

Attended LSU, became a Certified Professional Landman in 1994; Notary Public with dual authority in multiple parishes in North Louisiana; Bilingual in English and Greek

Expert Oil & Gas Professional assisting attorneys representing landowners. Involved in 2 lawsuits and both suits were awarded to the landowner. Ilios Resources, Inc. has been awarded the Best of Shreveport Oil and Gas Mineral Buyer Award for 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.

Consultant Landman for Texas Oil & Gas (TXO Production Corp.), Anadarko Petroleum, Comstock Resources,Independent Geologists, Pipeline ROW Clients, and Oil & Gas Attorneys. For the past 5 years my practice is primarily an advocacy for the landowner. I also assist royalty owners recover suspended payments or incorrect royalty payments, or sell their mineral or royalty interest.