Oil/Gas/Grady OK Mineral Rights Sale

Question
I have a couple questions:
1. I have an offer for $6K/acre. Is this a reasonable market price?
2. The contract shows $6K/acre but the Mineral Rights Deed that was sent to me shows the sale price of $10 total plus OVC. Could you help me understand whether the Other Valuable Compensation references the contract and why the sale price of $6K/acre wouldn't appear on the deed?
3. If I wanted a good mineral rights broker that is familiar with Grady County, who would I call?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any information you can provide.

-MW

Answer
1.   I first must tell you that I am not ever in agreement with the sale of a mineral estate.  You should keep these minerals - whoever is wanting to purchase them knows about the considerable amount of activity in the area and because you are in Oregon and do not see the rigs and work that you may be an easy target.

You could be selling yourself quite short at $6,000 per acre as I have seen leases for minerals in the area being paid at $3,500/acre.  This means that they are likely worth about $35,000 per acre.  The leased acreage would also be entitled to a royalty of nearly 20% of the revenue from any well production.

2.  The common deed language is $10 plus Other Valuable Consideration so the tax man and your neighbors will not know what was paid or what was received on the sale of the property.  The language on the deed is irrelevant so long as you receive the check paying the full agreed amount.  

3.  There aren't any "brokers" for minerals outside an oil and gas company, oil and gas attorney, or an established landman.  There may be some national companies, that you could search for, that buy minerals from individuals but there isn't a network like there are for realtors.  If you choose to go the attorney route then you may want to call the Oklahoma Bar Association and ask for a referral for an oil and gas attorney.

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams