Oil/Gas/Mineral Lease - Winkler County, TX

Question
I was recently contacted by Eagle Land Services.  Apparently, my grandfather owned mineral rights to a plot in Winkler County, Texas.  They contacted me and offered me the following:

Bonus:  $800 NMA
Royalty:  1/5
Primary term:  3 years, paid up lease
Option Term:  2 years
Total Net Mineral Acres:  20

They then contacted me a month later and offered $1000 NMA.  I told them I'd consider it and get back with them.  They've contacted me a couple of times and I said I'd counter propose to them.

There's a lot I don't know about this situation and am wondering if I should retain an attorney to get the best deal.

Answer
While I'm not that familiar with the current oil and gas lease terms being offered in Winkler County I would agree that if you don't know much about the business it might be a good idea to contact an oil and gas attorney to help you with the negotiations, since an oil and gas lease can affect your rights for decades if a producing well is drilled. You want to make sure you do it right, especially if there are more than just a few acres involved.

You might also find the Oil and Gas Leasing Tips article I wrote for the Mineral Hub helpful. In it you will find many helpful tips on how to negotiate with these oil companies when they come calling for a lease.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott