You are here:

Oil/Gas/Mineral and Warranty deed in Logan County, OK


QUESTION: Hi, I thank you in advance for your help on this.

    A relative got a Mineral deed and a Warranty Deed document on the same property (although they are separate documents).  Here is some information on it:
An undivided 2/160ths  interest in  all oil and gas production only in and under produced from

     The Northwest Quarter (NW1/4) of Section Thirty (30),
     Township Sixteen North (16N), Range One East (1E) of the Indian Meridian
approx. 2 acres

    Can anyone tell me what is the name of the area this property is located in and describe to me how it looks?
    Is there any activity going on on this property and area?
    How can I kept track of what is happening in this area?

Also, why would a mineral and warranty deed be on the same property?

Any further comments would be greatly appreciated!   Thank you so very much!

ANSWER: There is no current production in that section. As to the deeds, one pertains only to the surface, and one pertains to the mineral rights beneath the surface. Two separate estates. The location is just south of the town of Meridian in Oklahoma (Meridian is NE of Guthrie, a larger town.) Not much drilling activity in this area. Most is off to the west by at least 15 miles.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission (the regulatory body for oil and gas in Oklahoma) has a wealth of information available online relating to oil and gas activity and production in Oklahoma. You can look up such things as drilling permits, recent production information, well completion reports, forced-pooling orders, and anything else that falls under their jurisdiction.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

   Thank you Mr. Scott for responding back with your information on this.

   You have wrote about two separate estates.  If on the mineral deed it says, ... interest in all oil and gas production only in and under produced from..... does that mean a person have to go through two separate estates?

   Also, if 2 persons name on a mineral deed and 1 of them has died, how does the one that is alive can transfer the mineral deed to someone else in the state of Oklahoma?

    I appreciate you responses.  Thank you!

ANSWER: Mineral rights can be sold separately (and thus owned separately) from the land. Often they are sold together in one deed, but sometimes an owner of the "fee interest" (the land and the mineral rights both) will sell off JUST the mineral rights to someone, but will keep the land, thus creating two "estates" or properties, one mineral, and one land. The landowner could do whatever they wanted with the land they kept, and the new mineral owner could do whatever they wanted with their mineral rights. Two separate people, thus two separate estates.

On your second point, the person who is still living can transfer only THEIR portion (probably half unless otherwise noted on the deed) of the minerals to someone else. The deceased person's interest would be owned by their estate and would be distributed to their heirs as directed by their will (if probated) or by state law (if no will.) An exception to that would be if the deed between the two people was a "Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivorship" deed; in which case the deceased person's interest would automatically transfer to the person still living.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Hi , Mr. Scott

    Thanks for responding Mr. Scott.  Let's say the decease person is the husband (and everything of the husband went to the wife - there was no will) and the wife is still alive.  

In order for the wife to transfer  the mineral deed to one of her children, would it just be only her portion that she  would be able to transfer or her husbands too (because everything went to the wife when her husband died)?
    And what would be the proper way to transfer the mineral deed in the state of Oklahoma?

I thank you for your responses!

If everything went to the wife (which is not the case if the husband died without a will), then she could transfer both her and her husband's (former) interest if she wished. See an attorney as to how to properly convey the interest. The attorney could help you with any other questions you might have as well.


Frederick M. Scott


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.