Oil/Gas/Oil Royalities - lease

I own oil royalities in Gaines County and want to find out what it is worth.  I sold 1/2 last year and wish to find out about leasing the rest so I do not lose it completely.  Where can I go to find out how many acres I have, how many wells, if they plan to drill any more wells, etc.

There is no good news for you today.

Your question - "Where can I go to find out how many acres I have"

Answer - you will need to go to the courthouse and do the research to determine what you were granted, the amount you conveyed and what remains...or, you could hire a landman to conduct the research for you.

Your question - "how many wells, if they plan to drill any more wells, etc"

Answer - the Texas Railroad Commission (the RRC) is the repository for drilling information.  If you can tell the RRC your legal description they can tell you how many wells there are.  You could call the current operator and ask how many are there now and if they plan to drill any additional.  The operator will be the only one that can say if they have any future plans.  

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years