Oil/Gas/Past royalties?

Question
My husband and his family have recently been contacted asking them to sign an oil and gas lease for their inherited 3.75 acres in Stephens County,Oklahoma.  It appears that other family members have already been receiving payments for past production.  If his lease is signed now is he entitled to an accounting and payment of past production from this property? How does this work?

Answer
In the typical situation the answer is yes - he should be entitled to any funds which should currently be held in suspense.  If your husband owned the minerals at the signing of the lease and we can presume that he did because they are wanting him to sign the lease...then he owned the minerals prior to the lease signing and would be due any proceeds for prior production.

I would call the company and ask them when the well went online and began selling oil and gas.  You could also call the Oklahoma Taxing authority and tell them where the well is and ask when the operator began reporting income from the well.  This will give you a rough estimate.  Then call the company armed with the production information and ask them where your funds are for this period.

They will tell you that you were considered a "working interest owner" prior to the signing of the lease and with that designation there were certain expenses that ate up the interest.  Therefore, you will tell the landman that you must include a clause in the lease form stipulating that:

"This lease is retroactive to the date of first production of any and all wells located upon the leased premises and sale(s) for the purposes of calculating landowner royalty.  You shall be entitled to royalty from first production through the execution of this lease agreement."

This should help you in obtaining the royalty.  

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams