Oil/Gas/Quitclaim Deed

Question
Hello, I am writing to find out whether my mother MUST sign a Quitclaim Deed releasing her claim on property in Dickens County, TX. The person to whom this land would then pass is her late brother's son, my cousin. My mother is one of two living direct heirs. My maternal grandmother allegedly had an oil/gas lease on approximately ten acres of land in Dickens, TX. My mother is being asked by my cousin's mother (Mom's sister-in-law) to sign a Quitclaim Deed, releasing all claim to this property. She is understandably upset because she feels it may not be proper to pass this land onto a nephew, before she has a chance at it. She seems to want more information regarding the whole affair. I am one of her four children; my only desire is to put her mind at ease. I DO NOT wish to create friction within this family between my mother and her sister-in-law. Basically, I advised her to just sign the Quitclaim Deed and forget about the whole thing.
Would you please advise me as to the legalities involved?
Thank you.

Answer
If she has been granted the land then it appears to just be a bully move.  Perhaps you could attempt to find out why she they want her to sign a quit claim deed.  I would imagine that you will create friction if they want something and you will not give in but I don't know why you must.

I would get all the information before I would sign anything.  They can't make you sign.

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams