Oil/Gas/Reclaim Non-Producig Mineral Rights

I recently purchased property in Nowata county.  When working through the details of the contract, I asked to have the mineral rights included and was told that the heirs of the estate did not know who owned the minerals.  Of course the lawyer was willing to do a title search for a fee.  One of the heirs says that their is one well on the property but he can't remember exactly where it was or when it was drilled.  He doesn't think that it was ever a producing well.
    After I pay the fee (the easiest course of action)to find out who actually owns the minerals, is there some kind of reclamation that I can file in the courts for inactivity or non producing where I can actually obtain the mineral rights?  My father told me that back in the 70's he had done this with some property that he used to own in Washington county.
    I have looked and looked over the Internet and can not find anything.  Any help or clarification you can provide will be appreciated.  Thank You.

The only way to obtain the mineral rights would be to buy them from the current mineral owner once the attorney finds out who it is. You could also search the county clerk's records yourself of course to determine who the current owner is. Just because mineral rights are not producing doesn't mean you can just "reclaim" them (in Oklahoma.)Ownership doesn't just "fade away" because of lack of production or leasing activity, so you'll have to contact the current owner to see if they want to sell if you want to own the mineral rights.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)