Oil/Gas/How to transfer a working interest

Question
I have a 5% working interest in a gas well in WV that I inherited from a deceased relative.  The well is still being operated and all invoices for servicing of the well have been paid up-to-date.  The gas well is barely breaking even (in fact, it's a small loss every month lately) and I want to move on from the well.  

The company that services the well has horrible customer service and I've been to my wit's end trying to work with them to move the well off of my books.  At one point a month ago, they were willing to "buy back" the Working Interest I own (knowing full-well the losses), but the paperwork never materialized.  

I am willing to move the Working Interest to anyone or just walk away from it, but don't know how to make a move without help from the company that is servicing the well.  Can I work with the state of WV to transfer the title?  Is there a way to just rid myself of it?

Thanks.

Answer
Yes - there is hope.  There are online auctions that you can go on and divest yourself of the interest.  You would basically put the property in as a "no-reserve" and see what you can get.

Here is the web address for one that I know of that has pretty good readership numbers and would provide you a decent opportunity to divest yourself of the interest.

The state will not be much help to you since your issue is a contract issue.  It would be like the state taking over any other real estate for you when it is losing money - there really isn't a mechanism for it.  The auction is your best bet.

http://www.ogclearinghouse.com/

Hope all works out.

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams