Oil/Gas/Colorado oil pipeline easement

I have been offered $130.00 per rod for a 50 ft. wide, 12 in. petroleum line easement in Washington County Colorado.  The pipeline company insists this is a more than fair price, yet I see amounts of $1.00 per foot as a minimum price in other parts of the country.  I can find no prices on the internet for Colorado easements except for $65.00 per rod that the Colorado State Board of Land Commissioners charged Front Range in December of 2012. Is the $133.00 per rod a fair price? The pipeline company insists on figuring crop damages, row damages, and value per acre of property crossed as the determining factor.

A rod is 16.5 feet and the $130/rod is the highest price I've heard of in Washington County for a right of way.  That is $7.88 per foot which is pretty nice.  Now the $1.00/foot prices that I've seen are for smaller gathering lines and not a main trunk line.  Also, remember to negotiate separately for ANY surface facility and make sure you are comfortable with the route of the pipeline because once you sign that document you are set.

I'm under the impression that Kinder-Morgan/Tall Grass is doing a little shifting and moving in the area also if this isn't associated with them.  The $130 appears to be just for the right of way and any crop damage, etc. will be figured separately.

You appear to have a pretty good offer in my book.

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years