Oil/Gas/Affidavit of Heirship - Mineral Interests - Property Descriptions

WSmith wrote at 2013-03-14 21:05:35
Typically an Affidavit of Heirship is just that - who the person was, their birth and death date, marriage(s), divorce(s) and children of each marriage. You wouldn't list any property in such an Affidavit. It is helpful to include city and state of birth and death, and when known, the person's parents' names. The one-page affidavit would then be recorded in each county where the person owned property to put the public on notice regarding heirs at law.

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years