Oil/Gas/Mineral rights

My wife owns mineral rights in Uintah county,Utah.We would like to know how many acres are involved.A minerals company offered to buy her rights and will not tell us the acreage The offer was $250 an acre.Oil was found and we dont know if it is capped or not. My wife found out that her mother had received royalties but does not know if she was still receiving them at the time of her death several months ago.How do we find out about the royalties and the amount of acres?
Re:Mineral Interests in Uintah County. Utah
Township 2 South, Range 2 East, U.S.M.
Section 19 N1/2 SE1/4    Thats the co-ordinates we have
      Thank you very much

The only way to know for sure is to check or to have the Public Records in Uintah County checked by someone familiar with mineral interest.  You would have to pay a landman or an oil and gas attorney to review the records and determine the number of acres your family owns.

I would not consider selling if they were not willing to tell me how many acres they want to purchase.  The price you quote of $250 per acre is ridiculously low and not worth considering.  This is equal to what many would lease your interest for.

To see if anyone was producing oil on your property and paying royalty you should probably contact the Utah Oil and Gas Commission and see if the operator was reporting any production for the well under the legal description you noted.  If so, send the oil and gas operator a copy of the death certificate and the heirship/probate information and ask for an accounting of the royalty.

You must review the records or hire someone to review them for you.  

My best to you in your efforts.

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years