Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights

QUESTION: I would like to know about any activity in 21-08N-11W or any areas close to that section. Also area 17-08N-11W. My family has inherited the mineral rights. We have been ask to lease these rights In Section 21 But not in Section 17. My understanding is there is a problem with the title in 17. Our family has owned these rights since our great grandparents, any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank You, MAC

ANSWER: There is no production in either of your sections, or in the sections surrounding them currently, but there has, as you know been some leasing activity. That would indicate plans for a well may be in the future, but no guarantee of that of course. Many leases expire without ever being drilled. Sometimes mineral owners prefer that because they hope they can just lease them again to someone else for another bonus.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission is the oil and gas regulatory body for the state of Oklahoma, and on their website you can find a wealth of information about what's going on in the area where your mineral rights are located. You can search for production, completion reports, pooling orders and applications, and other things that the Commission regulates. You can search their oil and gas database from THIS page.

I took a quick look and Calvin Energy filed some leases in 21-8N-11W back in December. Not sure if they're still leasing there or what they were paying. Same news for the other section. I would assume that's the company that contacted you?

While these probably have some sentimental value (as do mine I inherited from my grandparents)if you sold these prior to leasing them you could probably get between two and three times the lease bonus you've been offered, assuming the lease bonus offered is comparable to others in the area. Just a thought, and of course you may rather just hang on to them and see if anything is drilled. If a good well is drilled you might make more money over the long run (long being years) than you would selling them.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub

QUESTION: Scott, Thank you for the information. Yes you are right about Calvin Energy, the lease offer on 21-8n-11w is 500.00 per acre for 3 yrs.with a 2yr extension for 500.00. I believe this is a fair lease. What do you think?

Scott, can you tell me anything more about 17-8n-11w.

$500/acre is probably a decent offer. I've heard of $250 being offered in nearby townships. I'd try to get them to drop the 2-year extension option though unless they're willing to pay you at least $750/acre if they exercise it.

Calvin Energy is also leasing in 17-8N-11W as you probably are aware. Nothing much going on there except that. No permits for new wells in either section currently, nor production in or adjacent to either. You can keep up with permit and drilling activity using the OCC website I mentioned in my last response.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)