Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights Transfer to Daughter

Mr. Scott:

Mineral interests are located in Seminole County in Oklahoma. My daughter and I live in Maryland. Do I need to hire legal counsel practicing in that county to process my request for transfer or can I work directly with the Clerk in the county court house?

You can simply have your local attorney in Maryland draft an Oklahoma-compliant mineral deed or "quit-claim" mineral deed transferring the interest from you to your daughter. You could actually do this without an attorney but I would recommend using one unless you're pretty familiar with drafting mineral deeds and getting them filed of record properly. Whoever drafts it, you need to be sure to mail the executed original to the Seminole County Clerk so they can file it of record (they'd return the original to you after filing.)

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)