Oil/Gas/Net vs. Gross royalty payments

Question
Chesepeake Energy in Ohio wants me to sign a lease agreement with 20% royalty, however, we pay all post-production cost.  I have asked for a net royalty percentage but they don't seem to want to budge on this issue.  One of the problems I have is that I don't know what a good net percentage would be and I don't know how much to expect to come out of my gross percentage for post production costs. If I could get them to pay me net royalties, do you know what would be a reasonable percentage to ask for?  If they insist on a gross %, do you know what percentage would come out of my royalty? I know this would probably vary by area, but will I end up with nothing?

Answer
Just tell them you want a "no deductions" clause in your lease. That will take care of the post-production costs issue if they abide by the clause. If they don't, then you would have to take them to court in order to enforce it, but better to have it in there so you'll have a leg to stand on if push comes to shove.

I would have an attorney look over their version of the clause before signing the lease. Could be your attorney will have a better version.  

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott