Oil/Gas/Ownership of P&A Wellbore

Question
We are interested in re-entering a well that was plugged and abandoned in 1988.  Who owns the wellbore....the surface owner?

Answer
Tena,
If a well has been plugged and there are no other active wells which maintain the oil, gas and mineral lease which the plugged well was drilled under, then the ownership of the wellbore rights would be determined only by reviewing the expired oil and gas lease terms.  You should be able to review the terms that the landowner agreed to in their oil and gas lease.  Even though it is expired - it should set out who owns the rights to any plugged well drilled on the land during the primary term of the lease.

I hope this helps.  If you are considering assuming a previous Operator's wellbore rights, I would suggest, however, that you also check with the oil and gas commission, for the state in which the property is located, what environmental liabilities you may also be stepping into if you re-enter a plugged well.

Good luck.  The oil and gas industry is an exciting place to be - however, it is very complex and I recommend always seeking professional advice prior to jumping in.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL