Oil/Gas/Assignment of Oil and Gas Lease

I have found an Assignment of Oil and Gas Lease from B.P.L. Oil Company. This document was filed February 24,1921. Is there a way to find any history off this lease? The lessor was R.R. Russell of Baxer County, Tx., the lease was dated March 5, 1920, the lease covering the following described tract or tracts of land in Pecos County, State of Texas, and are described as: Six Hundred Forty (640) acres out of said lease as in more particularly set forth in the assignment of lease which is filed for record in said Fort Stockton, Texas, County Seat of Pecos County, Texas. The assignor being W.E. Hitchcock.
 This assignment contains ten (10) acres in all - more or less. Being - (Tract 33, B.P.L. Oil Company. Subdivision out of Survey 98, Block 3, C.C.S.D. & R.G. RY. CO. Survey)

An assignment that old isn't worth researching in my opinion. The lease that was assigned has long since expired, and currently there is no production anywhere in "Survey 98" anyway so unless it was a hundred-year lease it's probably not even worth researching. But to answer your question, you can visit the county clerk's office in Pecos County to trace this lease forward and backwards if you want to. Some of their records may even be available online.

The Texas Railroad Commission also has a wealth of information available online concerning oil and gas activity. You can look up such things as drilling permits, production information and completion reports, all of which will help you determine whether that lease ever produced anything.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)