Oil/Gas/Bent County

2 - 25S - 50 West Bent County CO
My father was offered $450 an acre (350 acres) for the sale of his mineral rights. There is a lease in effect(no production as yet).
Is $450 a fair offer? Also, the deed proposal has "warrant said title". Should he warrant the title? He didn't know he owned the mineral rights until he received the lease proposal in 2012.
Thank You.
Section 2 Township 25 South, Range 50 West

I think the $450/acre offer is a fair offer for this area. Not much going on there really these days, though since they are leased there is of course a chance it will get drilled before the lease expires (which is likely what the potential buyer is hoping for.)

If he's not sure of his ownership then I'd not warrant the title. The buyer will likely do a title search anyway before paying him so just tell them you'd rather not warrant the title except perhaps "by, through, and under" which basically just means you haven't done anything to encumber the title since YOU have owned it (if you do) but will not be responsible for title errors prior to your ownership. Best is no warranty at all however if you're not sure of it.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)