Oil/Gas/career path after Asst.Driller

Question
Hello sir,firstly I would like to thank you for your expert advice column it is quite helpful for younger professionals like myself.I am an asst.driller on a jack-up off-shore rig with 5years field experience and a mechanical engg degree,now I'm looking for a switch to office based jobs like maybe a drilling engg or a well planning engg or directional driller maybe. I am actually not aware of how to proceed ahead in my career path.What would be your suggestions for office based jobs that I could switch to??Please could you suggest a proper path I could follow which would help my overall growth well. Thank You

Answer
The link below will provide a good starting point for your search.

http://www.indeed.ae/jobs?q=drilling&l=Abu+Dhabi

Also, I would try to attend any conferences in your area on your days off and bring several copies of your resume and talk to people at different companies in different roles.

You can also browse the jobs at Rigzone.

http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/

You could also look at the office jobs within your current company and then have a discussion with your supervisor about where (and when!) you can be promoted to an office position with your current employer.

Finally, sign up @ Linkedin.com and create a profile that highlights your career and qualifications; connect with everyone you know from school and in the oil industry!

Good luck!  

Oil/Gas

David Traugott