Oil/Gas/career path after Asst.Driller

Hello sir,firstly I would like to thank you for your expert advice column it is quite helpful for younger professionals like myself.I am an asst.driller on a jack-up off-shore rig with 5years field experience and a mechanical engg degree,now I'm looking for a switch to office based jobs like maybe a drilling engg or a well planning engg or directional driller maybe. I am actually not aware of how to proceed ahead in my career path.What would be your suggestions for office based jobs that I could switch to??Please could you suggest a proper path I could follow which would help my overall growth well. Thank You

The link below will provide a good starting point for your search.

Also, I would try to attend any conferences in your area on your days off and bring several copies of your resume and talk to people at different companies in different roles.

You can also browse the jobs at Rigzone.

You could also look at the office jobs within your current company and then have a discussion with your supervisor about where (and when!) you can be promoted to an office position with your current employer.

Finally, sign up @ and create a profile that highlights your career and qualifications; connect with everyone you know from school and in the oil industry!

Good luck!  

David Traugott

I can answer questions related to the technical issues associated with the drilling and completing of oil and gas wells; very familiar with the cementing process, LWD tools and Coiled Tubing operations. Limited knowledge of mineral rights and/or royalties.

Seventeen years working as an engineer in the industry both in the field and in the office. Field locations include offshore, land, and overseas. Office locations include Lafayette, LA and Houston, TX.

SPE Drilling and Completion Magazine, World Oil, Harts E&P.

Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, UL Lafayette 1995. Strategic MBA, University of Houston-Victoria 2010

Major and Independent Oil and Gas Companies.