Oil/Gas/Hughes Co OK min rights purchase request

I'm going through all of the wills and estates at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church and have come across something that you may be able to advise me on.

I can't find the deed anywhere, but I have an offer to purchase, from the church, the Mineral and Royalty Deed to All of Section 36 and the SE/4 of Section 01, Township 06N, Range 11E, Hughes County, OK.

Is it possible to find out if Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church is the owner of that?  

Any direction would be great.

The offer is from Cobra Petroleum in Ft. Worth.

Yes. You could go to the county clerk's office in Hughes County, Oklahoma and search through their records for those sections and determine what, if any, of the mineral rights the church owns. If there's nothing in the county clerk's records referencing their ownership of these minerals then you might also try the court clerk's office (often in the same building) to see if perhaps someone devised the minerals to the church out of their estate or something.

Before I sold them to Cobra or anyone else that made an unsolicited offer however, I would try to get them in front of some other buyers buy posting them on my site (Mineral Hub) or some other site you felt was good, or even put an ad in the paper. Often unsolicited offers received in the mail etc. are for less than true market value so best to get other opinions before selling.

Just so you know, there is a producing well (Blevins 1-1H) in 1-6N-11E producing about 20,000 mcf of gas each month. Continental Resources is the operator. I'll bet Cobra didn't mention that when they made an offer to purchase did they? My point exactly about unsolicited offers.

Since there's a producing well in one of these sections the church, or whoever currently owns the mineral rights, should be getting royalty checks from Continental Resources at least a couple of times per year, if not more often. If they're not getting checks at least once or twice a year, the church probably doesn't own any mineral rights in this section (the well covers the whole section.)

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)