Oil/Gas/Location of oil rights I partially own

I have inherited a 1/7 share of oil and mineral rights in Wheeler County Texas.   I believe it has been several years since there has been an active lease.  (The last time it was leased we were not notified at first but eventually received a payment.)  I am planning a trip to search out who else owns the other shares of these rights at this point.

My question is:  How can I find a way to translate the legal description of the property into an address I can find by car?

There are two ways that landmen go about identifying property taken from a mete and bound legal description and translated to a street address:

1. The legal description is drawn by the landman and the legal usually has identifying markers that tell the landman how far from the corner of the section it is.  Once the landman has identified the shape and location he takes his identified location to the tax authority and cross matches the legal on the tax map.  The tax authority has the addresses for each one.

2.  The short direction is that the tax authority may have the names of each of the persons taxed on the mineral estate if it has ever had any production associated with it.  If this is the case they can give you a good bit of assistance in locating the surface location of the tracts as well as the other parties they are taxing with interest in the estate.

Hope this helps some.  

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years