Oil/Gas/Net Working Interest

Question
Could you pls explain the above concept with examples for better understanding.

Answer
Working interest owners pay expenses from the well such as equipment costs, upkeep of the well (maintenance) and other miscellaneous charges like overriding royalty interest.

A royalty owner does not pay these expenses - they only pay taxes and sometimes marketing charges (3d party charges to the selling or preparing the gas to sell)

Receiving a "Net" interest is having the expenses deducted from the revenue rather than receiving a gross revenue check and then turning around and sending the operator of the well a check for your portion of the expenses during that revenue cycle.

So, a typical month may look like this:

Your portion of the ownership in the well

$100,000   Gross revenue that is due to be paid to you
<$6,500>   Lease Operating Expenses
<$25,000>  Equipment repair
<$12,500>  Royalty to landowners
__________
$56,000    Due to be paid to you for your working interest.  

Therefore, rather than sending you a check for $100,000 and you sending back a check for $44,000 they are going to "net" or deduct the expenses and send you a check for the net amount of your revenue.

Keep in mind that this is the common usage of the term Net Working Interest and the company you are working with may use some other derivation of this concept.  They should take a moment and explain the issues to you.

Sincerely,

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams