Oil/Gas/Oil and Gas Lease Anderson County, Texas

Question
I have been contacted by a company called Petrol land and presented with a paid-up oil and gas lease for 81 acres of land part of the William Albright survey, abstract 80, Anderson County, Texas also described as lot two in a partition deed granted from H. C. Williams in 1926, as recorded in volume 157, page 539 in the deed records of Anderson County Texas. They wish to give me a paid-up oil and gas lease for five years for a total of $795. Can you tell me If this is a normal price for such a thing? I've been told by friends that usually the lease is $150 to $250 per month for such an agreement.

Answer
Ms. Honer,

The normal lease bonus for signing an oil and gas lease in Anderson County, TX is about $50.00 per acre.  This is a one-time payment as consideration for you executing an oil, gas and mineral lease.  If you have 100% of the minerals under this tract then you should ask the oil and gas company for $50 per acre for the lease bonus - which would be just over $4,000 for the bonus consideration.

Paid up means that the bonus payment is total consideration for the signing of the lease agreement for the primary term of 5 years.  Now, this $795 does give them 5 years to drill a well and begin production or the lease expires and you will have another opportunity to lease with another company.  If the company does drill a successful well during this period and they begin producing the well you will receive a royalty.  At that time you would be entitled to a portion of the revenue from the well depending on the amount of production, price paid for the product and your royalty amount.  The lease agreement will tell you the royalty amount (usually in paragraph 2).  The average royalty amount in that area is between 12.5% and 16.667%.

Until the oil company gets production you will not receive a monthly check as you have heard.

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams