Oil/Gas/Proving Heirship of Mineral Rights

Question
My two sisters and I inherited the mineral rights for 5 acres in Dewey County, OK, Section 33, 17N 16W from our mother who died in California in 1992 through a Last Will and Testament. The five acres of mineral rights is part of a total 25 acres of mineral rights co-owned by our three aunts. Over the last 20 years, Jackfork and/or Reagan Resources have leased the mineral rights from all of us without any problems. In February, we received a new lease from Jackfork Land Inc, retained by Continental Resources, for leasing the mineral rights at the rate of $750.00/nma for a term of three years. My sisters and I have all signed, notarized and returned our forms as we have done in the past. Jackfork has now informed us that Continental Resources wants a copy of the Last Will and Testament to prove heirship before paying us for the lease. My sister in California, executor of the trust, no longer has a copy of the Last Will and Testament. After moves and such and more than 20 years later, it was lost and neither she nor the attorney have a copy of the Last Will and Testament. The estate did not go through Probate and the Will was never lodged. My sister has sent an Affidavit of Heirship to Jackfork Land, Inc stating that the mineral rights are equally distributed between three siblings as was stated in the Last Will and Testament, but we are being told that Continental Resources is refusing to honor the Affidavit of Heirship. Our aunts have received their share of the lease distribution without any problems. Can Continental Resourceslegally refuse the Affidavit of Heirship? How else can we prove heirship?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
Mary Yeates

Answer
Ms. Yeates:
Unfortunately many times when the rights to a lease have been assigned to another company, they do not pass on the historical information, which seems to be the issue in your case.
Question, has the Affidavit of Heirship been filed in Dewey County, OK?  If not, you should have an original executed Affidavit of Heirship filed with the Clerk of Court's office. Obtain a copy of the recorded Affidavit.  Then, I would recommend that you write a letter, and send it by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, to Jackfork Land, Inc., along with a copy of your Oil, Gas and Mineral Lease, and explain the situation - that you had previously executed leases over the stated number of years - to Jackfork Land, Inc., and that the recorded Affidavit of Heirship proves the ownership of your mother's estate, which has not been probated - but should be sufficient information for Continental Land to honor its lease bonus payment to you and your sisters.  

Keep in mind, that if Continental Land does not pay the lease bonus money it owes you - that their Oil, Gas and Mineral Lease is not in effect because paying the consideration for the contract is part of completing a valid agreement.  I would also explain this in your letter; that to your knowledge, until the lease bonus is satisfied (paid) - the lease is not valid.

This will probably make them pay you pretty quick!

Best of luck.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL