Oil/Gas/No lease notification. Thrown in the pool.

Question
My family has a 25 acre royalty interest in Payne County. We just recently found out that the property was leased and drilled a producing well. When I asked the leasing company why we were not notified and they said there was error in the title opinion and offered us the same deal as the royalty owners that were pooled. Do I have any options other than taking that of the pooled owners?

Answer
If in fact you weren't offered a lease, and were not listed on the forced-pooling application or order, then they are technically "trespassing" on your minerals. This does give you some bargaining power but if you push too hard they likely will just apply for a "corrected" forced-pooling order to include you (and can probably get it.)

I'd suggest you ask them to pay you a 1/8 royalty and "carry you" until the well "pays out" (they recover their drilling costs) and then let you come back in to the well as a working interest owner (which could be a substantially better payout than just leasing would have brought you.)

I would also strongly suggest you talk to an OIL AND GAS attorney about this and have him/her run over your options with you in detail because whatever you decide can affect your rights for years to come if the well produces for a long time.

Jack Ivester (http://www.ivesterlaw.com/) in Elk City or Sayre, OK is experienced with this sort of thing, as is Mathew McBee (http://www.mcbeelaw.com/) There are probably attorneys in Payne County who are familiar with oil and gas as well but I don't know any personally.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott