Oil/Gas/mineral right

We inherited mineral deeds in North Dakota and the company that is drilling on that property said the formations and configurations have change therefor we have no claim to receive money from their drilling oil. Our Mineral dead states we have rights to the minerals under the property, however it does not state how deep our rights go. I don't understand how that is possible could you please explain this procedure to us?

Thank you.

In order to answer this question much more information is needed.  I would need to see the deed where you inherited the minerals and have a more complete understanding of what the oil company is talking about.  

This is not a question that can be answered over this forum, in my opinion, but should be reviewed by an attorney in your home town.  

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years