Oil/Gas/oil and gas lease

Recently when going thorough some old papers of my mother, now deceased, I found an uncashed draft check for an oil and gas lease dated January 18, 1985.  The draft was to cover mineral and royalty interest in 36.91 acres of land situated in Jackson County, Oaklahoma.  Lot 3 & a strip containing 3.04 acres of the North side of the SE1/4 NW1/4, Section 4-1S-20W.  
The check was signed by an R.D Faulkenberry (Buyer)and notes a Jack B Smith. CPL
Oaklahoma National Bank, Duncan, Oklahoma  73593.

The check was made out to my mother (Ruth Stanley Manning), my brother (Richard Manning) and myself (J. A. Rue Manning).

Worth pursuing?  If so, how?

Thank you.

JaRue S. Manning

The draft is no good anymore, and it's likely she was paid some other way, such as with a check. It's also possible they changed their mind about leasing and thus she didn't try to deposit the draft. I'd say it's not worth pursuing.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)