Oil/Gas/oil well production

We have an oil well in Burke County, ND.  Our average checks have been 4500 - 5700 per month.  Last month it was 2100.  Why is that? Is well going dry after 10 months or will it rebound?

There is no standard answer for this question.  In my experience the normal decline curve is not so steep.  It is more likely that there is a downhole problem that is causing a mechanical problem.  I would call the oil and gas company and speak with the accounting department and ask them what the problem is.  They don't usually speak with royalty owners that are sympathetic to their position (they only report the numbers, management and engineers make decisions) so if you are kind, they are likely to assist you in determining from engineering what the problem was/is.

There has not been a reduction in the price of oil so it can only be that production has dramatically fallen off by natural or mechanical means.

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years