Oil/Gas/Research Drilling Minerals

Grimes County Texas, Company wants to drill several research wells under my property that I do not own minerals. They do not want to extract any minerals. Who do they need to get permission from? Mineral owners or Surface owners?

I guess other words does the mineral owner only own the value of the minerals and I own the dirt? If looking for oil they can go drill in my dirt but not looking for minerals would the drilling company be trespassing?

The research company out of Grimes needs to obtain written permission from the surface owner and the mineral owner for this type of "research".

Yes, the company will be trespassing.  The only right that an oil company has is to extract or attempt to extract minerals from the property.  The mineral estate in Texas is dominant and the surface owner must give the mineral owner so much surface as necessary to explore for and extract minerals.  If the company is not going to extract minerals then they will need both your permission to access the surface and to compensate you for the disturbance and destruction as well as the permission of the mineral owner to be poking around down there.

They need to get with both the surface owner and the mineral owner for permission for this type of "research".

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years