Oil/Gas/Royalty Pymts without a Lease?

Question
I own 100% of surface and 50% of undivided minerals on a 100-acre parcel in Oklahoma.  I recently declined an offer for OGL, but have since discovered that the other 50% owner of minerals was located (he resides out of state) and signed up.  Since the oil company is now no longer courting me, in the event of production of these minerals, how can i best ensure that I'm included in applicable royalty payments?

Answer
You should receive notice from the Oklahoma Corporation Commission telling you about a "forced pooling" hearing.  The oil company will hold this hearing and you will then have an opportunity to lease or participate in the drilling of the well.

Your best bet for ensuring that you are included in applicable royalty payments is to be diligent in responding to the notices and keep track of the process.  You will want to negotiate with the oil company and if you call them now and tell them that you are willing to negotiate then you will be eliminating the need to have the forced pooling hearings.

This is your best bet at this point.  If you don't lease you can always participate and pay your share of the drilling and keep a larger share of the value of the produced minerals.  This will require you pay your proportionate share and you may not want to do it...but, this is an option.

Sincerely,

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams