Oil/Gas/Cleaning up chain of title

I need to clean up the title for several leases in Pittsburg Co, OK, but I live in Delaware.  How should I get started?

I'm not sure what you will need to do to get these cleaned up but I'll give you two easy options and one harder option:

Depending on what you are needing to do to clean them up, it may be easier to search for and hire an oil and gas landman to assist you on the ground in Oklahoma.  There are several that you can find and can obtain documents, give you advice on curative issues and assist you generally.  Or, you could hire an oil and gas attorney in Oklahoma to do it for you.

Those are the two easiest options the hard option is for you to take a week off and go to Pittsburg County yourself and accomplish the task there.  Depending on how adventurous you are and your level of comfort with working in the courthouse to accomplish the tasks.

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years